A spur of the moment cross late in the year seems to have worked! 2016 was a drought year and my plants all looked more than a little thirsty. In the tomato rows, Santorini Paste and OSU blue were the tomatoes that were the least parched looking so I decided to try my hand at crossing them. I had never attempted to cross a tomato before mostly because I had never felt any interest. After all there are so many tomatoes already that I couldn't see how I could add to the already bloated inventory. However, drought tolerance is an interest of mine so I went out one morning to find a very immature looking flower of OSU blue (as per instructions) and removed the boy parts. The fragile looking thing was bagged and pollen from Santorini added the next day with the bag being immediately replaced. All other flowers in the cluster were removed. Honestly I didn't expect anything to happen but low and behold a fruit grew!
It didn't even fully ripen when I picked it and saved the seeds. Doubt crept in again. But the seeds grew not only adequately but vigorously. Now to wait and see what sort of plants and fruit the babies will reveal.
All about growing, selecting and using edible plants in the Ottawa valley.